Wednesday 13 January 2010

Campbell set for return to Arsenal

I’m sure I’m not the only one to be amazed at the possibility of a Sol Campbell return to Arsenal before the January transfer window ends.

Campbell, 35, played the first half of an Arsenal Reserves 4-2 win against West Ham at Upton Park last night, with, said the Gunners, “a view to a permanent move back to Arsenal Football Club”.

Campbell said: “I hope to sign for Arsenal until the end of the season. I need to get minutes under my belt, a couple of reserve games at least, before I can start looking any further ahead. There are still a few technicalities to iron out but it's fantastic, great, marvellous. I'm ecstatic to be back and I have worked hard to get there. Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is not stupid. He wouldn't have taken me back if he didn't like what he has seen."

Well, no, but Wenger and Arsenal are now famous for not wanting to pay top dollar to get players. Campbell will sign “on a free”, and his contract is not likely to be long. Therefore, it’s not a huge gamble by Wenger.

Campbell joined Sven-Goran Eriksson at Notts County in August, but played only one game – a defeat at Morecambe – before quitting. The turmoil since then at Meadow Lane has perhaps proved his decision right.

Stepping back into the Premier League, though, will be difficult for the former England defender, who has not played there since playing for Portsmouth last season.

With Thomas Vermaelen and William Gallas the main-stays of Arsenal’s central defence, Campbell is obviously going to be emergency cover, with the odd cup game, but I can’t see him making a position his own in the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment