Tuesday 2 February 2010

Peterborough sack Cooper after 13 games

Back on 11 November last year Peterborough United sacked boss Darren Ferguson. I wrote about the stupidity of that decision here: http://football-thebeautifulgame.blogspot.com/2009/11/staggeringferguson-sacked-from-posh.html.

Mark Cooper, previously of Kettering Town, was put in charge.

Well here we are 13 games later and The Posh have now sacked the hapless Cooper. They have won just once since Cooper took over on 14 November.

Cooper said: "I am deeply shocked and saddened that my contract with Peterborough has been terminated. I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to all of the players, all of whom have been 100% behind me, and to my staff."

Chairman Darragh MacAnthony said this on the club website:

"Following Mark Cooper's departure from the football club yesterday I wish him well for the future and have no doubt that he will be back in management sooner rather than later. After losing 8 times in 13 games including five defeats in January where we conceded 12 goals and only scored 1, his position became untenable and I felt it was time for a change for the good of the club.

"I take full responsibility for the recruitment and departure of Mark and will always hold my hands up when something does not work out for the club because of a decision that I make. I can only give the Posh fans my word that I will make it up to all of them for the events over the last three months.

"There haven't been a lot of great times for us in the Championship and our confidence is at a serious low point at present but I have appointed the right manager to take us forward and install some much needed confidence all over the club top to bottom and have a good go at these last 18 games.

"Mistakes get made, but it's not how you make them that matters, it's how you fix them and hopefully we can get back to winning football matches and playing attacking football once more and unite our dressing room and of course our fans!"

New boss is former Motherwell and Stockport County manager Jim Gannon

No comments:

Post a Comment